Podnanos is a nucleated village in the vicinity of Vipava. It lies in the upper part of the Vipava valley, right next to the Vipava-Razdrto main road, where a road branches off via Vrabče to Karst and where the valley of the Močilnik stream widens.

The leeward slopes are covered in vineyards, the plains in fields. A joinery plant of the Lipa factory was located in the village until 2004. The parish church of St Vitus has a side chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, which used to function as a Gothic presbytery. On the arch of the presbytery and partly behind the altar the frescoes from the late 15th century have been preserved. In the direction towards the village of Podraga the hamlet of Roženek is located, named after the nearby Rosenek castle, dating back to 14th century. The church of Sts Cosmos and Damian is nearby, but the locals like to refer to it as St Roch.

The village of Podnanos was called Šentvid (also Šembid) till the year of 1952. It was in Podnanos that a priest, a vicar and a viticultural expert Matija Vertovec worked. He was the author of Vinoreja, the first book in Slovene to offer expert advice to viticulturists and winemakers, which he published in 1844. Št. Vid was also the birthplace of Stanko Premrl, a priest, a musician, an organ virtuoso and a composer, the author of Zdravljica, the Slovene national anthem.

Wine production Trošt | Podbreg 18 | 5272 Podnanos | tel.: 00386 (0)41-401-204 |